Using old ocx

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Up till now, all coding I've done with mapwingis has been with vba. Since that is an interpretated language rather than compiled, much of my coding would have to be reworked to use the new methods if I was to upgrade the ocx to the latest.  Is there any way that the ocx can be versioned so that I'm not having to reinvent the wheel with each improvement. Sort of like each version of the ocx would be registered with a slightly different name so that multiple versions could coexist? Of course there's the obvious solution, switch to vb.net! If there is a different approach that would help me please educate me!

Developer
Mar 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM

I don't quite understand the problem. Generally, when a new version of MapWinGIS is issued, there is no need to recompile your app, unless some of the old methods/properties were changed. Unfortunately such things sometimes happen (usually not with stable version but with the one under development;  we plan to issue the stable 4.8 version in June, BTW; now there is a period of active coding). The info about the recent changes in API is here: http://mapwingis.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Version%20history . I got VB6 project myself from the old days and definitely there is no need to recompile it after every change. I don't think that VBA is somewhat different from it. Also .NET won't secure you from such situations as well. More to it there is additional burden of updating interop assemblies there. So I really don't know what to suggest here apart from simple options: update/don't update. Let me know in case there are problems with particular pieces of code.

Regards,
Sergei