Self-registration for MapWinGIS.ocx failed

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Self-registration for C:\dev\MapWinGIS\MapWinGIS.ocx failed

but i just register it...( 

from all dll-es i can add to toolbox just MapWindow6.dll, but them when i debug project there are another problem as MapWindow6.dll not find...

help me... please 

i read many articles about this problem but i can't find any solution...

Roman

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Edited Dec 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

This error only seems to occur when a user of Visual Studio 64 bit tries to register the 64 bit version of MapWinGIS.ocx. Unfortunately we don't have a good fix for this at the current time. 

However, the workaround is not too bad. Just install the 32-bit version of the MapWinGIS.ocx installer from the download page. This will put the ocx in a folder on your computer and the necessary pre-requisite files. It will also then appear in Visual Studio when you right click on the toolbox and select "choose items" then click the "COM" tab. You will see "Map Control" in that list.

You can build and test with the 32 bit version of the control in this way and then deploy your installer with the 64 bit version if you need to. 

- Dan

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I try do make gis-application with C# as in tutorial ... i dont't know what is exsactly  MapWindow6.dll

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Edited Oct 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Hello,
even running the same action of the previous posts I can not put to work the OCX mapwingis.ocx.

My environment is VS2010 (framework4) with Windows 2008 server 64bits and even 32bit installing OCX registered get the error "is self-registratition mapwingis.ocx failed".

I've also tried installing the 64bit but nothing works.

Can you help?
Thank you.

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2012 at 8:12 AM

You also need FrameWork v3.5 and did you use the ocx-only installer?
Because you need some additional dlls.

The full installer for MapWindow is working almost always. You can use that, then you know you have all the needed files.
You can get the latest beta at http://tinyurl.com/mwMonthly

--
Paul

Coordinator
Dec 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Regarding the error "Self-registration for MapWinGIS.ocx failed"

This error only seems to occur when a user of Visual Studio 64 bit tries to register the 64 bit version of MapWinGIS.ocx. Unfortunately we don't have a good fix for this at the current time. 

However, the workaround is not too bad. Just install the 32-bit version of the MapWinGIS.ocx installer from the download page. This will put the ocx in a folder on your computer and the necessary pre-requisite files. It will also then appear in Visual Studio when you right click on the toolbox and select "choose items" then click the "COM" tab. You will see "Map Control" in that list.

You can build and test with the 32 bit version of the control in this way and then deploy your installer with the 64 bit version if you need to. 

- Dan

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Hello Dan

I tried your solution and it does not work. Adding 32 bit version still throws the same error. This bug renders development in Visual Studio useless on 64-bit machines. I hate being forced to use ESRI.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Hello again

I rebooted my computer and now it works.

Coordinator
Dec 24, 2012 at 5:55 PM
Thanks for posting the follow up letting us know the registration worked. This is good for future people reading this thread...

----------------------------------
Daniel P. Ames, Ph.D., P.E.
Associate Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering
Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 2:20 AM, pblack <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello again

I rebooted my computer and now it works.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (mapwingis@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email mapwingis@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com