Vba access 2003 - can mapwingis do this :

May 23, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Edited May 23, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Hi to all, firstly I must apologise for any typos, I'm writing is on a phone keyboard. <edit> I'm rewriting this due to it sounding really bad.. apologies, I won't use the cellphone in future.

I'm currently involved with a project to track incidents as they happen on a temporary site, such as a building site or school playing field. As is always the case, a client has requested a new feature, which involves mapping the incidents across the site and visualising it as they happen.

The features I need to be able to achieve are:

Load a map from a graphic file, often simply a png or jpg.
Allow us to superimpose a grid, ideally with grid references on it, but not essential.
Allow the user to draw zones and place waypoints on the map, for example, draw a zone to show the reach of the tower crane, and add waypoints for all store rooms. Ideally, it should be possible to label the zones.

The plan would be that when an incident is logged on site and stored in the Access database. the coordinates are also stored, and the map would show all current incidents as waypoints.

I've had a look at the documentation, and there seems to be very little where vba is concerned. I'd appreciate if someone has the time to either link to a sample that'd give me an idea of how things work, or let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree with the capabilities of MapWinGIS..

I'm probably a 6/10 when it comes to programming, and a -1 when it comes to knowing anything about GIS so just need a kick in the correct direction more than anything.. I'm not offended by being treated like an idiot if it helps me to learn.