Welcome to MapWinGIS on CodePlex

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Hi all.

As you can see I've given the MapWinGIS ActiveX control project its own home here on CodePlex. The main reason for doing this is to give the project greater visibility to both potential end users and code contributors.

MapWinGIS ActiveX has been a key component of the larger MapWindow GIS project for nearly 10 years. During this time it has grown into a very stable and extremely functional tool that has been used in thousands of software projects including educational, proprietary, and open source software.

The larger MapWindow GIS project has grown significantly including a number of plugins and partner projects, most of which is hosted on the MapWindow.org web site and most of which are developed in the .NET Framework languages, VB.NET and C#. This growth, while very cool, has tended to hide the MapWinGIS ActiveX project from potential users and contributors - in part because it is the only C++ ActiveX component.

Because it is based on C++ and ActiveX/COM technology, the MapWinGIS ActiveX has unique benefits and challenges. I hope that by giving it a dedicated site here on CodePlex, developers with expertise in C++ and COM and an interest in GIS will be drawn to the project and will be excited to contribute. 

In moving to this site we get several benefits including a functional and well integrated WIKI, SVN, Issue Tracker, Discussion List, and email system all of which is managed by Microsoft. However we do lose some control over the look and feel of the web site, and we also lose any discussions, sample code, and SVN revision history from the MapWindow.org site. To minimize the losses here, I'm keeping the MapWinGIS ActiveX forum and SVN on MapWindow.org as read-only. Please feel free to use those resources as it is useful.

At the same time, much of the revision history and forum discussions on the MapWindow.org site are significantly out of date now - given all of the updates and improvements that have occurred in the last couple of years. So in some ways it makes sense to have a bit of a fresh start here on CodePlex.

Please enjoy using this tool and let me know if you want to join the project as a code committer.

- Dan

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Dan,

I like the new approach. Hopefully this will generate some additional C++ developers.

I like the new logo.

Paul Meems 
Release manager, configuration manager
and forum moderator of MapWindow GIS.
www.mapwindow.org

Owner of MapWindow.nl - Support for
Dutch speaking users.
www.mapwindow.n

Coordinator
Nov 24, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Thanks for the logo comment. I wanted to do something new and unique for this project and decided to play on the "inside joke" which came about a couple of years ago when one of my kids asked me "what is Map-Wing-Is" :) Which was funny to me since I had never seen the word "wing" in there before! But it also suggests that the control can give your software wings to soar into the world of GIS!

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Hi, I like very much the wings explanations. Very poetic, very free software.

The logo also looks like the blue version of the golden stuff that Harry Potter try to catch in the Quidditch game ...

In my personal case I try to manage my C# broomstick ...