MapWinGIS.ocx does not appear in COM toolbox

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I am in a world of pain trying to complete the registration of MapWinGIS.ocx in Visual Studio 2010 toolbox. Reading through the MapWinGIS forum shows similar problems, but none of the solutions work for me. (I'm using 32 bit version of installer). My system is not particularly special. I have Windows 7x64, parallel installs of VS (2005, 2010). Administrator account used with regsvr32 to ensure component is registered. RegSvr32 says that the component has registered properly. It shows up in registry.

If anyone has found a workaround, that would be terrific.

Coordinator
Sep 25, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Did you browse for the ocx in the COM-tab?
Did you get an error?

--
Paul

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Hi Paul. Thnx for reply.

Yes, browsed the COM-tab. The ocx is not listed. When we then browse for it, and locate it, the error returned is failure to self-register (I can get exact error if it helps, but that's the kind of error). The VS 2010 solution compiles, and the component is listed under References.

Another tid-bit, is that AFTER installing the 64-bit full MapWin program, my "complied" version of the solution that uses the ocx component "works".  (The VS2010 design-time solution still doesn't show the ocx though on the COM tab). Not sure if that is a redd herring, or too much info.

If you have ideas, please let me know.

Coordinator
Sep 28, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Your application is working because it is looking for the ocx in the registry and finds it.

VS2010 isn't working because it only can add 32-Bit versions of ActiveX Controls. If it is giving a self-register error it mostly means either you've selected a 64-bit version or not all dependencies can be found. Did you use the 32-bit ocx-only installer?

--
Paul