Show all points in shapefile

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Hello,
I have searched every place I can find, but not been able to pin anthing down - think i might just be useing the wrong terms.

How can I ensure all the points in a shapefile always get dispalyed, no matter what the zoom level. ? I can do this with a drawn points layer, but not with a points shapefile.

Thanks
Ross
Jul 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Hi, Still struggling with this any ideas?

Thanks
Ross
Jul 29, 2014 at 6:41 PM
I havent followed the conversation but did you try to get it right with the shapefile in MapWindow itself?
Maurits

2014-07-29 15:13 GMT+02:00 ross <[email removed]>:

Hi, Still struggling with this any ideas?

Thanks
Ross

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed])

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:55 AM
Thanks, Thats a good idea, I had not thought of.
I have tried this this morning, but sould not find any thing, also looked through the help system for Wapwindow, but agsin could turn nothing up...

Still can get this to work, I will keep trying. - I'll have a look at the source next to see if I can see anything...

Cheers
Ross
Jul 30, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Nothing to do with labels by any chance?
Maurits

Sent from my iPhone

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Edited Jul 30, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Well, I think its to do with collision detection, so the same sort of thing as for labels - is it possible to "turn it off" for labels?

I had a bit of a play in MapWindow, and it occurred to me that I might be able to change the size of the Point, depending on the scale/extent of the zoom, making the points smaller as I zoom out. But it appears that past about "4", the points do not resize.

I have had a quick look in some of the source files, but can't seen anything obvious that controls such an option - I will need to spend more time with the source, because I don't really understand C++ all that well.

Thanks for the ideas... I'll keep looking :-)
Jul 30, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Yes, you can turn it off for labels, worth the try

Sent from my iPhone

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Winner winner chicken Dinner!!!

I knew it would just be a case of finding it.

After your suggestion of labels, I started to look into that, (thanks), i soon found this page:

http://www.mapwindow.org/documentation/mapwingis4.8/functions_0x61.html#index_a

look down the bottom of that and you'll see, "•AvoidCollisions : Charts , Labels" , as in the Charts class and the lables class.

Bugger i thought, anyway, i'd have a go/play with label collisions - currently I darw lables on a labels layer, rather than from a shape file, so i set about setting that whole process up, and some how came across the actually key thing i needed! Result! a few simple words, and 2 days of effort to find it! ;-)

sf.CollisionMode = AllowCollisions

Thanks for the help Velsto, wouldn't have found it with out you ;-)
Marked as answer by pmeems on 12/3/2014 at 6:44 AM
Coordinator
Dec 3, 2014 at 1:43 PM
Just my two cents.
In the new documentation we've updated the description of Shapefile.CollisionMode: http://www.mapwindow.org/documentation/mapwingis4.9/class_shapefile.html#ae0c2b5b354f003d50bca9efbe82ee08e
to 'Gets or sets collision mode for point symbols for point and multi-point shapefiles.'

Thanks,

Paul
Dec 3, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Thanks Paul,
I think my own issue was not knowing to look for collision mode, I basically did not know what term I had to look for, so it was not an issue with the documentation as such, but my own limitations! - of which there are many!

loving 4.9 btw, great work!
ross