Adding WMS/WFS layers?

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:04 PM
Hello,

I'm in the research stage of looking for a map user control for use in a C# application. I found MapWinGIS this week and have been trying to learn as much about it as possible.

My question: is there support for adding layers from services such as WMS and WFS, and can this be layered with local data from shapefiles and databases?

Thank you
Developer
Feb 20, 2015 at 8:23 AM
Edited Feb 20, 2015 at 8:25 AM
Hi,

no, for the time being there is no support for WMS and WFS. It's in the wishlist, but not a top priority so I wouldn't expect it to be implemented in the next 2 months at least. TMS, shapefiles and vector layers from databases are supported. In fact WMS layers can be added quite easily in cpp source and handled as usual tile providers (we even have one right now), but there is no way to do it from client side. The API should be extended. Nothing at all on WFS front.

Regards,
Sergei
Marked as answer by pmeems on 2/26/2015 at 4:46 AM
Mar 11, 2015 at 9:16 PM
Edited Mar 11, 2015 at 9:17 PM
Hi Sergei,

Thank you for the response. It seems to me that WFS services are supported indirectly through OgrDatasource by passing in the WFS URL prefixed with "WFS:". Can you please confirm if this works correctly? I was able to see data, but I'm not sure if everything was set up correctly on my side, and the service I used to test is not under my control.

Thanks
Developer
Mar 12, 2015 at 2:00 PM
You are right, OGR does support WFS driver: http://www.gdal.org/drv_wfs.html. I missed that functionality and naturally haven't tested it myself.

I've just made a quick test for WFSs listed here: https://www.gaia-gis.it/fossil/libspatialite/wiki?name=WFS. It seems we have limited support. I tested first 3 services and was able to see the data only from the second one. The first and the third returned unsupported types of geometry: wkbCurvedPolygon, wkbMultiSurface, so conversion to our Shape format failed. However it seems the underlying OGR provider works fine. Also I didn't like that the initial request is performed synchronously thus blocking UI. Perhaps it's possible to overcome this even with our current API, but I suppose it should be run asynchronously by default.

We plan an overhaul of the OgrLayer functionality maybe in a month as a part of MapWindow 5 effort: mapwindow5.codeplex.com (it's based on MapWinGIS ). Most likely I'll address these issues with WFS support as well, since we want it in the new app. Meanwhile if the particular service works for you - fine, why not to use it ))

Thanks for the info,
Sergei