This project is read-only.

Problem with how tiles are displayed

Jan 30 at 4:42 AM
Edited Jan 30 at 5:14 AM
when i load a shapefile into my application the tiles that are loaded appear to be skewed. The roads and other features do not line up.
Jan 30 at 4:05 PM
Hi,

If I've understood you correctly, the issue is because of a mismatch in projection. Your shapefile or default is in one projection and the tiles are using WGS 84.

This is explained here:

http://www.mapwindow.org/documentation/mapwingis4.9/class_tiles.html

(see A. Coordinate system and projection)

You'll need to either reproject your shapefile to WGS84 or set your base projection to WGS84 (if your shapefile doesn't have a projection set).

Rob H
Apr 22 at 2:54 AM
Rob,

Most of the shapefiles that I receive from my clients are polygon files that are usually in state plane projections. These are areas of interest for oil exploration.

If I set the projection to WGS84 I get nothing displayed.

If I set the projection to MapWinGIS.tkMapProjection.PROJECTION_GOOGLE_MERCATOR then a shapefile from Pennsylvania is now in West Africa.

I can't really reproject my shapefile to WGS84 as my program will be outputting data in the same state plane coordinates as the shapefile.

I don't know if there is a solution with the way MapWinGis is now. Some of the commercial software that I use reprojects the tiles to match the projection of the shapefile.

Willie